City & Community Resources

311 Toronto provides easy access to non-emergency city services, programs and information 24/7 in over 180 languages.

Residents can also use 311 to share feedback on city services.

Call 311 within Toronto city limits* 24/7 to make a service request. Residents can also submit and track 311 requests online or via the mobile app.

Please call 311 for urgent requests. Always dial 911 for emergencies.

*Call 416-392-CITY (2489) if outside Toronto or the TTY line at 416-338-0889 to make a service request.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential helpline and online database of Ontario's community, social services, government and health related services. 

Dial or text 211 for 24/7 support. Service is available in over 150 languages. You can also email 211 or use their online chat for assistance.

We know that many tenants are facing rent increases, maintenance issues and renovictions. Protecting affordable rentals and helping you stay in your homes is one of my top priorities. 

The province's Residential Tenancies Act sets out the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants in Ontario.

The City of Toronto doesn't have jurisdiction over evictions and rent increases. However, the city plays an important role in assisting tenants and investigating property standards issues.

My office can also assist Ward 14 tenants access available resources and supports. In addition there's various community legal and advocacy organizations providing free assistance to tenants.

You'll find the following sections on this page:

  1. Resources for Tenants
  2. Evictions and Rent Increases
  3. Rental Housing Standards
  4. Subsidized Housing


1. Resources for Tenants

Rental Housing & Tenant Information - City of Toronto

The city's Rental Housing & Tenant Information website provides guidance on rental housing, resources on tenants' rights and help navigating the rental process.

Eviction Prevention Handbook

The city's Eviction Prevention Handbook helps tenants navigate the general eviction process and highlights the rights of tenants facing eviction.

The handbook is also available in TamilTagalogSimplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese.

Toronto Rent Bank & Other Financial Supports for Tenants

The Toronto Rent Bank provides supports residents behind on their rent or needing help with a rental deposit. Call 416-397-RENT (7368) or visit their website for more details.

There are a number of other financial supports available to Toronto renters.

Don Valley Community Legal Services (DVCLS)

DVCLS is your East End community legal clinic. They provide free legal advice and representation in various areas of law. DVCLS also helps tenants across the East End facing eviction, rent increases and more. 

Call 416-441-1764 ext. 1 or complete their online intake form if you require legal assistance.

Federation of Metro Tenants' Associations (FMTA)

The FMTA is a non-profit organization which advocates for better tenant rights. They can help tenants organize against Above Guideline Increases (AGI) and other similar issues.

Call 416-921-9494 or visit their website to get in touch.

Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO)

CLEO is a specialty community legal clinic that develops and provides legal rights education and information to Ontarians. They have helpful information on evictions for tenants.

Steps to Justice (run by CLEO)

CLEO's Steps to Justice website provides practical step-by-step information about legal problems, including helpful information for tenants.

Canadian Centre for Housing Rights

The Canadian Centre for Housing Rights (CCHR) provides various legal services to tenants facing housing issues. Call 416-944-0087 or visit their website to get in touch.


ACORN is a multi-issue, membership-based community union of low and moderate-income people with a long history of organizing tenants and taking action on the housing crisis.

Rental Registry

Register your rent and view current or past rent paid for listed units on the Rental Registry online platform. This initiative is meant to help increase transparency in the rental market and improve conditions for tenants. Learn more on the Rental Registry website.

2. Evictions and Rent Increases

Rent Increases

The city doesn't have jurisdiction over rent increases. The province sets the rent increase guideline for how much a landlord can raise rent annually without LTB approval. The guideline for 2024 is 2.5 per cent.

An Above Guideline Increase (AGI) is when a landlord asks for an amount higher than the set guideline. AGIs must be approved by the LTB.

Tenants facing rent increases should seek legal guidance right away. DVCLS can help determine if a rent increase is legal.

The FMTA also assists tenants organize and potentially provide funding to hire a lawyer or paralegal to fight an AGI.


Landlords must file an eviction application with the province's Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB), the only authority in Ontario who can authorize evictions. The LTB will notify a tenant of the application and hearing date if/when this happens.

Only if the LTB holds a hearing and issues an eviction order must a tenant move out. Landlords can't force tenants to vacate their home unless the LTB issues an eviction order.

Seek legal guidance right away if you get an eviction order. DVCLS provides free legal help to East End tenants facing eviction.

While the city doesn't have jurisdiction over evictions, their website also has useful info and resources.

No-Fault Evictions

A no-fault eviction occurs when a landlord asks a tenant who has not violated the terms of their lease to leave their unit for the following reasons: 

1. The landlord, their family member or a caregiver intend to move into the unit.

The landlord must first provide an N12 notice 60 days in advance.

2. The landlord sells the property and the purchaser, their family member or a caregiver intend to move into the unit.

An N12 notice must also be provided 60 days in advance.

3. The landlord intends to do major renovations or repairs that require the unit to be vacated. 

The landlord must first provide an N13 notice 120 days in advance.

You don't have to move out just because your landlord gives you an N12 or N13 notice. Landlords can't force tenants to vacate their home unless the LTB issues an eviction order.

You should seek legal guidance immediately. DVCLS provides free legal help to East End tenants facing eviction.

Learn more about what to do if you receive an N12 or N13 notice:


A renoviction refers to the practice of landlords evict an existing tenant so they can rent their property at a much higher rate by claiming they'll complete major renovations that require the unit to be vacated.

Profit-driven renovictions are reducing our already limited supply of affordable housing and impacting many tenants across the city.

I'm working to address renovictions and protect tenants. Read this June 2024 update to learn more.

Restoring In-Person LTB Hearings

I was pleased City Council adopted my motion in February 2024 to request the province restore in-person Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) hearings.

Most LTB hearings have been held virtually since 2020. This has furthered the imbalance between tenants and landlords by amplifying barriers for renters with low-incomes, disabilities or technological limitations.

Learn more.

3. Rental Housing Standards

The Property Standards Bylaw sets the standards for all properties in Toronto. All property owners are required to repair and maintain their property including owners of properties that are rented out.

The type of housing you live in determines responsibilities for maintenance and how it's enforced.

Key Property Standards

The following standards apply to all properties in Toronto, whether the unit is owner occupied or rented. Additional standards apply to apartment buildings.

  • Hot Water: There must be an adequate supply of hot water with a temperature ranging from 45 degrees to 60 degrees Celsius.
  • Pests: All properties have to be kept free of pests, including rodents and insects.
  • Property Cleanliness: All parts of a property, including the yard must be kept clean and free from accumulations of litter, brush or garbage, and any conditions that are health or fire hazards.
  • Minimum Temperatures & Air Conditioning:

City bylaws require the landlord to provide heat to a residential dwelling at a minimum of 21 degrees Celsius between September 15th and June 1st of each year. 

Unfortunately, landlords are not required to provide air conditioning in Ontario and Toronto has no maximum temperature by-law. However, buildings that provide central air conditioning must turn it on from June 2nd to September 14th and maintain an indoor temperature of not more than 26 degrees Celsius. 

Read this FMTA resource for more on the city's minimum temperatures and air conditioning rules.

Learn more about other key property standards.

Window Air Conditioners in Apartment Buildings

City bylaws do not prohibit window air conditioning units in apartment buildings. However there may be specific clauses in your lease, so check your lease agreement carefully.

The city's by-law requires landlords to ensure that window air conditioning units are installed and maintained in a safe way. Landlords are responsible for hiring a qualified tradesperson to undertake the work and provide proof of this to the city.

There are no bylaw provisions requiring tenants provide proof nor any stipulations allowing landlords to make tenants responsible to proof. Read the city's FAQ document.

What to do if Repairs are Needed

Apartment buildingsmulti-tenant (rooming) housesco-operative housing along with condominiums all have different rules on maintenance responsibilities and enforcement.

Generally, tenants should follow these steps if maintenance is needed:

  • Step 1: Initial service request to your landlord
  • Step 2: Contact 311
  • Step 3: File a complaint (T6 form) with the Landlord Tenant Board

Learn more about the above steps to take if repairs are needed. Download the T6 form here. Contact DVCLS or the CCHR for assistance filing a T6 application. 

Apartment Buildings - RentSafeTO

RentSafeTO is the city's bylaw enforcement program that ensures apartment building owners and operators comply with building maintenance standards. The program applies to apartment buildings with three or more storeys and 10 or more units. 

Under this program, landlords have 24 hours to respond to urgent service requests (i.e., electricity, heat, water) and seven days to respond to non-urgent service requests.

If you get no action from your landlord and problems persist, submit your request to the RentSafeTO team to 311 by phone, online or via [email protected].

Learn how to make service requests to landlords or submit complaints to the city if you live in a building with three or more storeys and 10 or more units.


If the condominium unit is owner-occupied, the city will not investigate a complaint about the condition of that unit.

Multi-Tenant (Rooming) Houses

If you live in a multi-tenant (or rooming) house and experience problems like pests, low or no heat, plumbing issues or leaky ceilings, submit a service request to your landlord.

If you get no action from your landlord and problems persist, contact 311 to have the city investigate. 

Learn how to make a service request to landlords or submit complaints to the city for multi-tenant houses.

4. Subsidized Housing

Rent-Geared-to-Income Housing

Rent-Geared-to-Income (RGI) housing is social, or subsidized, housing. Learn more about edibility requirements, how to apply and more on the city's RGI housing website. 

Other Subsidized Housing & Benefits

The waiting list for RGI housing is long and you may need other options until something is available. There are different types of subsidized housing you may be eligible for including supportive housing and alternative housing.

Learn more about the city's additional subsidized housing options and benefits along with where to apply. 

Seniors Housing

The city has a number of seniors housing services and supports.

Visit the city's seniors housing website to learn about long-term care homes, affordable housing, home maintenance programs and other housing services for seniors.

Crisis Support Resources:


Mental Health Resources:

  • Across Boundaries: Helps racialized individuals with mental illness and/or addictions, offering services in a range of languages.
  • Hong Fook: Offers a range of supports to the East Asian and Southeast Asian community.
  • Ontario Psychological Association: Provides professional development, resources, networking, and referral services to find a psychologist.
  • Strides Toronto: Offers community, autism, developmental, and mental health support, services, and referrals in Toronto's east end.
  • The Access Point: Centralized application point for individual mental health and addictions support services and supportive housing.
  • Warm Line (Progress Place): Provides confidential and anonymous support for adults.
  • Toronto Seniors Helpline (WoodGreen): Provides information and over-the-phone supportive counselling, de-escalation, and safety planning to seniors in emotional distress or crisis.


Youth/Family Services:

  • Black Youth Helpline: Specifically responds to the needs of Black youth and serves multicultural youth.
  • Caribbean African Canadian Social Services (CAFCAN): Supports Caribbean, African, and Canadian children, youth, and families with culturally sensitive programs and counselling.
  • Family Services Toronto: Helps individuals and families facing challenges through various resources, including counselling.
  • Kids Help Phone: Offers national service to all young people in Canada, available 24/7 through chat, phone, and text.
  • LGBT YouthLine: Provides peer support for 2SLGBTQ+ people aged 29 and under across Ontario.
  • Naseeha: An international hotline that provides tools and support for youth, particularly Muslim youth.
  • Red Door Family Shelter: Non-profit registered charity operating family and Violence Against Women (VAW) shelters in Toronto.
  • Trans Lifeline: Provides peer support for trans and questioning callers.


Indigenous Resources:


Call 911 if you are in an emergency, immediate danger, or medical distress.

Open Data is digital data that is made available with the technical and legal characteristics necessary for it to be freely used, reused, and redistributed by anyone, anytime and anywhere.

In January 2018, Council approved the city’s first Open Data Master Plan and Roadmap. A key outcome of the plan is to deliver the new Open Data Portal which is a data visualization webpage that will make the city’s data more accessible to everyone, no matter their technical background or knowledge.

More information about open data at the city is available at

LEAF is a non-profit organization dedicated to the protection and enhancement of the urban forest. They offer a variety of resources and programs, such as their backyard tree planting program. LEAF helps property owners plant the right trees in the right places. They also provide extensive advice and resources on proper tree care to ensure that trees survive and thrive. Leaern more at

Take action

Sign up for Updates
News and Updates
Upcoming Events