In accordance with the provisions set out in Section 191(b) of the City of Toronto Act, 2006 and Section 27-30 of Chapter 27, Council Procedures of the City of Toronto Municipal Code, a petition signed by 28 Members of Toronto City Council has been submitted to the City Clerk setting the date, time and purpose for a special meeting of City Council.
The City Clerk has called a special meeting of City Council to be held at 12:30 p.m. on Monday, November 18, 2013 in the Council Chamber, Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen Street West, the following purposes set out in the petition:
1. To consider the following motion:
"That as a temporary measure until November 30, 2014,
1. City Council delegate to the Deputy Mayor all powers and duties which are not by statute assigned to the Mayor.
2. City Council reallocate the operating budget of the Office of the Mayor as follows:
a. The staff salary and office budget under the control of the Mayor be the same as that of a member of Council.
b. The balance of the operating budget be reallocated to the City Clerk's Office to be administered under the oversight of the Deputy Mayor.
3. City Council authorize that all existing members of the Mayor's staff be offered the opportunity to continue their employment either with the Mayor or as part of a transfer of staff to be overseen by the deputy Mayor who shall assume responsibility for staffing, including hiring and firing."
4. City Council suspend the necessary rules and substitute new rules that give effect to the following:
a. The Deputy Mayor is the chair of the Executive Committee.
b. The Executive Committee elects a vice chair from among its own members.
c. the Mayor is no longer a member of all Council committees by virtue of office, and does not enjoy the rights and privileges of other committee members when present at a committee meeting."
2. To introduce and enact any necessary bills.