Learn about temporary TTC service impacts, temporary intersection closures and road restrictions in the Coxwell and Gerrard/Dundas area.
I wanted to update you on two major projects in the Coxwell Ave and Gerrard/Dundas neighbourhood:
- Coxwell and Gerrard watermain and streetcar track replacement
- Raindrop Plaza construction at Coxwell and Dundas
Shops in the Coxwell and Gerrard neighbourhood will remain open during construction. I encourage everyone to shop local and support local businesses.
Coxwell and Gerrard TTC Track Work - Intersection Closure Begins Tuesday, June 20th
The city and TTC continues work on the watermain and streetcar track replacement project which began in May. Watermain replacement work finishes this week.
The second and final project phase to replace the streetcar tracks within 50 metres of the Gerrard-Coxwell intersection in each direction (except Eastwood Road) begins Tuesday, June 20th. The project is expected to be done in late-July before the Gerrard India Bazaar BIA's Festival of South Asia on July 29th and 30th.
Full Coxwell-Gerrard Intersection Closure - June 20th to end of July
The Coxwell-Gerrard-Eastwood Road intersection will be fully closed beginning Tuesday, June 20th until late July to accommodate the streetcar track replacement work.
- Vehicle access will be maintained on Rhodes Avenue (east), Gainsborough Road (west), Fairford Avenue (north) and Dundas Street East (south).
- Pedestrian access: There will be road and sidewalk restrictions within the construction work area. Please watch for signs directing pedestrians.
- Accessible accommodations: The city's contractor must maintain safe and accessible walkways and entryways. Contact [email protected] or my office at [email protected] if you experience a disruption or require accommodations.
More details on business delivery accommodations, driveway access and other info can be found here.
TTC Service Impacts
Beginning this Sunday June 18th, the following bus and streetcar diversions will begin:
- 506/306 Carlton replacement buses will divert via Greenwood Avenue, Danforth Avenue, and Coxwell Avenue to Upper Gerrard Street East
- 22 Coxwell buses will be suspended. Access to Coxwell Station from the area of Queen Street East at Coxwell Avenue will be maintained by temporarily extending the 31 Greenwood route via Eastern Avenue to the Queen/Coxwell Loop.
- 31 Greenwood service will be increased to compensate for the temporary removal of the 22 Coxwell bus.
- 322 Coxwell Blue Night will temporarily divert via Danforth Avenue, Greenwood Avenue, and Queen Street East.
More details on impacts to TTC service can be found here.
Work Hours and Other Impacts
Track replacement work will take place 24 hours, seven days a week to preserve the integrity and quality of new rail and concrete.
Excavation activities and heavy concrete breaking will be carried out at various times between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. Concrete breaking will be the most disruptive work and is expected to last one or two days.
Raindrop Plaza Construction - Coxwell and Dundas
The city will be resuming work this month redesigning the intersection, making public realm enhancements and building new stormwater management facilities at the Coxwell-Dundas intersection.
Construction is set to resume this month and is expected to be completed in August. Please note the following traffic impacts:
- Curb lane closure southbound Coxwell (north of Dundas St E)
- Periodic curb lane closure westbound Dundas (west of Coxwell Ave) during off-peak hours
- A minimum of one lane in each direction will be maintained at all times
- Access to residents and pedestrians will be open during this period